Politico seeks volunteers
Politico is seeking a volunteer reporter & sub-editor to join a growing editorial team (all volunteer journalists). The ideal candidate will be au fait with social media, web publishing and will be able to edit dense, complicated material into scintillating prose. You should brim with editorial ideas and be able to take over, write and publish compelling stories in a jiffy.
Politico is an entirely voluntary operation and voluntary positions are unpaid (however, there is some petty cash to cover reasonable expenses). The work is web-based and much of it can be done remotely with the guidance of Politico editors.
What's in it for you? Successful candidates will gain valuable knowledge of web publishing, podcasting and well-regarded experience with a progressive current affairs website. Past interns have used Politico as a springboard to full-time work in TV3, Storyful, the Oireachtas, regional newspapers and in social media/public relations.
An outline of responsibilities is listed below. Interested candidates should email Eadaoin with 'Volunteer' in the subject line. Attach some examples of journalistic work, editorial ideas, and please cite relevant online experience.
- Report from conferences, Oireachtas committee meetings, and events relevant to Politico themes
- Work with editorial staff on stories
- Sub-edit and publish contributions from our growing community
- Source and upload additional relevant material to published articles (FOI, reports, statistics, etc)
- Respond daily to current affairs events/publications
- Create and manage Twitter lists for subject matters along Politico themes
- Curate stories from online and social media channels
- Pitch in ideas for new website features