Dun Laoghaire to Dalkey
This walk hugs the DART line by the route of a railway which conveyed Dalkey granite, to build Dunleary harbour in the early 19th century. Remnants of the line are known as, “The Metals”, a term the locals call the whole route.
Starting at Dun Laoghaire seafront, follow the pedestrian path above the railway. Continue beside the People's Park over to Sandycove/Glasthule Station. Padraic Colum, poet and novelist, lived nearby and attended the local national school. Cross Adelaide Road and pass Glenageary Station. There is much greenery along this part of the walk.
The route leaves the DART line just past Barnhill Road, near where the engine house for the “Atmospheric Railway” (run on suction pressure), used to be located. A fixed engine attached to a cylindrical pipe, pulled the early Victorian train. By 1856, a standard railway served Dalkey.
Beside Barnhill bridge, take the path through the small housing estate of Old Quarry. From there, continue up Dalkey Avenue and ascend leftwards by the stone track, called the Flags. Watch for old wheel marks in the stone. Continue ahead to the hill park or return by foot, train or bus. Take care, as cyclists also use “The Metals” route.
∏More The Dun Laoghaire Way walk leaflets, nos 4-6. Between the mountains and the sea, Peter Pearson. Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Map; ww.dlrtourism.com; www.dlrcoco.ie